Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The role of Hybrids in Battlegrounds

The Problem

I've had an ongoing discussion with a friend of mine regarding his Druid's role at end-game, and am wondering how that same discussion applies to PVP. Basically, my friend has a 60 Druid (and has had this Druid at 60 since about July of last year) and doesn't think he should be pigeon-holed into healing in end-game content. As a result, he's been to MC only a handful of times and instead spends his time either in Battlegrounds or trying to get the remaining pieces of his Wildheart set. This is a concious choice, I'm pretty sure he realizes that he could have his whole Cenarian set by this time if he was healing in MC, so it's a matter of principle on his part. Since he runs Battlegrounds so often, he's currently Balance specced all the way through Moonkin and says he still gets nasty tells from people expecting him to heal them. Is this expected of all hybrid classes in Battlegrounds? I'm not sure what to expect with a Paladin, but I'm not twinking this toon out just to be a healbot, I want to be out there swinging my weapon and making the most of my abilities. Yes, I'm going to heal, but not at the expense of having fun.

The Solution?

So, what to do? I can heal, but not as well as a Priest or Druid at the level. I won't have Flash of Light, so the best I can do is a 2.5 second heal for about 175 health. I'll have Blessing of Light available every 3 minutes, but that's only good against physical damage, if there are any casters, they'll blast right through it... Best I can figure is saving up my heals for use when I plan to use my shield, where I can get off two of them without interruption. This will only work every 5 minutes, and I've always got the ace-up-the-sleeve of Lay on Hands for any panic moments. Is this viable? Can I expect to be allowed to use my heals as I see fit, or am I going to get deluged with tells from morons demanding heals all the time?

The Alternative...

Well, I suppose the alternative to healing would be not healing...I would prefer not to go that route (healing does give CP), but for the level, the gear I'm looking at getting barely has any +Intellect on it, so my mana pool is likely to be small to begin with. Granted, it will improve with the WSG rewards as I gain reputation, but that's a way off still. Time will tell, but for the time-being, I'm going to save my heals for when they're going to make a difference and use them when I think they're needed. I'm concerned that I'll end up filling up my ignore list, but I'll climb this mountain when I come to it.

3 Comments:

Blogger GSH said...

Healing doesn't give honor. If you're in a group with someone, honor is split evenly among the people in the group. So only heal group/raid members.

The one hard and fast rule about PvP healing: No raid = no heals.

Sometimes, if I just want to kill, I won't join the raid and just go attack.

Don't forget your stun. Hammer of Justice is another good opportunity to heal. And that is once a minute.

(Also, Flash of Light is useless in PvP. It's just not powerful enough. The 2.5s heal is the one used most often.)

4/12/2006 06:32:00 PM  
Blogger Maintain said...

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up regarding not getting honor for healing. I was under the impression that you did get Contribution Points for healing party/raid members, but if that's not the case, then I guess healing is a different matter altogether.

4/12/2006 07:08:00 PM  
Blogger GSH said...

You don't get any *extra* points for healing. However, say a Paladin and a Warrior kill a shaman with 20 points.

Paladin and Warrior are not grouped. Paladin just heals warrior.

Paladin: 0 pts
Warrior: 20 pts

Paladin and Warrior are grouped. Paladin just heals warrior.

Paladin: 10 pts
Warrior: 10 pts

Paladin and Warrior are grouped. Paladin doesn't heal warrior, in fact does nothing.

Paladin: 10 pts
Warrior: 10 pts

If you're in a group, you split points evenly, regardless of how you contributed. You generally do whatever maximizes the group's success. Sometimes that means healing, sometimes it means attacking.

But if you're not in a group, healing doesn't help you at all, in fact it hurts you. If the paladin had attacked in the first situation, she may have got a small amount of points when the shaman died.

4/13/2006 02:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home