Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Tankadin Schmankadin

So I tanked Uldaman the other day, Archades and everything at only level 44. No high levels walking us through, I think the highest level character in our group was 46. Group was built up as follows:
  • 44 Paladin (me)
  • 44 Paladin
  • 46 Warlock
  • 45 Priest
  • 43 Hunter
I'm not going to go on about how Paladins should be considered viable tanks or any of that sillyness, I'm just saying that I did it and it wasn't the end of the world. My current build is 21 Holy/14 Protection (down to Improved Righteous Fury) and I neither had a problem grabbing aggro or holding it on a signle target. While I do have Consecration and was using it, that was only to get the aggro on me initially. The group listened to me and were doing a great job of focusing on my target, so I rarely lost aggro due to the priest overhealing. I did end up dying a few times (5 in total, sadly), mainly due to the priest managing his mana poorly. I've never played a priest to any real extent, but I don't think that it's a good idea to only start healing your main tank when he's at 25% health... I'm looking forward to getting Holy Shock in a few levels and see how that works with Righteous Fury and aggro generation. While we don't have a taunt like Warriors and Druids do, Holy Shock might be enough to grab aggro back if it's lost, especially with a Divine Favor crit. All-in-all, when it comes to Paladin tanking, I think it's been severely under-explored by most people. I've seen interesting posts on the Paladin forums (both US and EU) discussing a "porcupine" build with Retribution Aura, Blessing of Sanctuary and Holy Shield, but that requires a heavy investment in the Protection Tree, which I don't know if I'd be comfortable with. I think the trick of Paladin tanking is simply having a good group and a plan. Maybe I won't be able to try this in higher level instances, but I'm not ready to give up trying just yet. ZF is coming up soon and has a number of larger pulls in it, so whether I'm tanking or off-tanking, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

2 Comments:

Blogger GSH said...

The problem with paladin tanking (at least in the lower instances) is what do you do if you lose aggro?

If you never lose aggro, everything is fine, but it's really hard to recover if a mob gets away from you. While a warrior or druid would just taunt and get the aggro back.

5/05/2006 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger Alan Hitt said...

Divine Favor doesn't combat crit Holy Shock. (it only heal crits)

6/01/2006 02:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home